Monday, July 20, 2009

Summer Vacation Week #6

I think this was the busiest week of our summer vacation so far! We started out the week with our cooking class. We made homemade bread and homemade butter. It was so much fun. The girls had fun kneading their dough and shaking the butter. I had not made homemade butter since I was in Kindergarten. It was super fun and easy. If I thought it it might be cost efficient I might do it all the time!

Didn't their loaves turn out nice? They were super yummy too. That night for dinner we had our homemade bread and butter and fruit....and that was it! DELICIOUS!

Dad has been busy trying to get the basement done. He has finished most of the mudding and is starting to sand. It is a super messy business! It seems to be pre-maturely turning him into an old man with gray hair!

Dad also had to go to scout camp for three nights this week. We sure missed him while he was gone, especially me. It was awfully lonely climbing into bed every night with out him.

The girls got to play at the park while I had a RS presidency meeting. In my plan for the summer I was going to take the girls to a different park every week. I think we have only made it to two different parks, but we have still gone to the park.

While Dad was gone I took the girls to a local carnival. I had told the girls that they could each go on two rides. So we went and scoped everything out and they picked the rides they wanted to go on and I went to buy the tickets. Tickets were a dollar a piece. Each of the rides required 3 tickets.....so that meant $3.00 for ONE 30 second ride. For all my girls to go on the carousel it would have cost $12. For them to go on both of the rides they wanted to it would have cost $24 and we would have been done in less than 15 minutes. I totally could not justify the cost. I had a good chat with the girls about it and told them that we could go to the dollar store instead and they could each get a treat and a new toy. So that is what we did instead. We spent over an hour at the dollar store, and spent $8.00. The girls had so much more fun playing with all the toys and things there than they would have had at the carnival. I can't believe how much things are costing these days!

Thursday we got to go to Dad's work party. Poor Dad didn't even get to go. He was off eating tuna sandwiches in the woods and being poked by 12 year old boys (trust me, I don't think they will try that again!). We had a little BBQ dinner and then headed over to a pool that they had reserved for the night. The girls had a blast! They are getting so much more comfortable in the water. I hope they will do really well with their swim lessons this summer.

Friday night we had the cousins come over for a sleep over. We had dinner, played outside, and watched a movie. They actually went to bed really good too. I think my kids were exhausted. They stayed up 4 nights in a row. Sunday was not a happy day with all those grouchy kids though!

Saturday we got to go to a parade and see some fireworks. Summer, parade, and fireworks are just words that go together.


6 weeks down 5 more to go....we are on the down hill slide now. The next few weeks are going to zip by. I need to start school shopping!

3 comments:

  1. Hey how's it going? Looks like you are having so much fun! You are such a fun mom! I can't even make bread!! :) Hope you are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun project to make bread and butter! So how long do you have to shake the jar until it turns into butter?

    I need to take my kids to the park too. We're going to attempt to go today...but that's what I said yesterday! ;)

    ReplyDelete