Monday, June 23, 2008

A few of our moving adventures....

We are finally getting settled in our new house. We actually parked one of our cars in our garage over the weekend. Only one more to go! There are still plenty of boxes in there that need to be unpacked (or just thrown away...he he he). I finally uploaded some pictures today and thought I would share some of our exciting (ha ha) moving adventures.

After some pretty AMAZING packing (Did I ever tell you that my hubby is a fabulous packer....I guess he should be after all the moving we have done!), we managed to get MOST of our stuff in the U-Haul truck. We had to leave a few things behind, but we will be going back anyway, so it won't be a problem getting them. We had several guys show up to help. Praise the Elder's Quorum for their muscles!! It made the job go by much faster. We packed up the truck and most of our things the night before the move. The next morning we ate breakfast, loaded the rest of our things, hurried an laundered all the bedding and towels, and cleaned up the house then we took off for the LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG journey.

I was really worried about the journey. It is a 6 hour drive (at least....not counting stops, or traveling with a U-Haul). That is a long journey under normal circumstances, but moving everything we owned, just made it more stressful. I had never driven that long by myself before either. We decided to split up the kids. I would take the oldest and the youngest and DH would take the middle two in the U-Haul with him. This way I would have the oldest to help with the baby. I was the most worried about the baby. 7 month old babies don't really like to be in their car seats that long.

I was super surprised at how well the kids traveled. We stopped to eat lunch at a park and let them wiggle, but it was cold and rainy, so they didn't have a chance to play. We kept swapping the DVD player back and forth between the vehicles for the trip. All the kids but the oldest took some good naps along the way. Even the baby traveled pretty well. She got fussy a few times....luckily we had some licorice to keep her happy......


We got safely here finally, and it really wasn't that bad. All of those prayers certainly helped with that!

I thought I would share this funny picture. Most of our things have been in a storage unit for the last 11 months. When we were unloading them we kept finding corn stuffed into things. We found a bunch in my couch, and all of this was in my washing machine. The funny thing is that it was stuffed into the drain pipe that was inside my CLOSED washing machine. I don't know how an animal got in their to do it. We are not even sure what kind of rodent it was. I hope he wasn't too sad when we drove off with his food storage.
It will probably take a couple more weeks to get things all unpacked and put away. Then I can start doing the fun stuff.....decorating. Then I will share pictures of our new home.

5 comments:

  1. That picture of little Miss H is just darling.

    I remember the look on your face when you pulled the plastic off your couch and there was corn. Priceless! Where is my camera when I need it.

    My dh was floored by how organized you were. He LOVED the vinyl on all of your bins. And he said *IF* (yeah right!) we ever move again, he is going to hire you out to label all of our stuff.

    Are you settled enough that we can play soon? My kids have been loving the swimming pool in the backyard. We need to have you over so we can sip lemonade inside and let them wear out outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that pic is adorable! When you finish decorating your home can you come do mine? LOL we are still working on that part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story. I am glad that all worked out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the moving up and then in is almost done. Moving is just so stressful.

    That corn is so funny! Sounds like the food storage bug is spreading to the wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the licorice pic! She couldn't possibly look more happy after that! I can't wait to see the pics of your new home. Hopefully I can get up there soon to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete