Friday, February 9, 2007

Book Review and A Thank You...

This last month for book club we read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. This was a fantastic book!! It is about a princess who can talk to birds and a horse. She is ridiculed by her family her whole life because she is different than her other siblings. She is supposed to be the next queen, but her mother sends her off to a neighboring kingdom to marry their prince. On the way she is betrayed by her own people. She escapes and tries to fight her way back to her thrown and her position. It was such a great book. I would suggest in to everyone! It is the first book in a trilogy, but apparently (from what I have heard, because I haven't read the other two yet) the other two books are about other people in the first book, so I don't think you have to read all of them.

Also, I would like to extend a big Thank You to Lambie-Pie. A few months ago I asked for book ideas for book club this month. I had so many of you tell me some great books. I finally decided on I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith, which Lambie-Pie recommended. I was really surprised I had never heard of this book before because it is by the same author that wrote 101 Dalmations. The book is fantastic. In preparing to host book club this month I read the book twice, and even the second time I read it I couldn't put it down. I kept thinking, "This is silly, you know how the book ends, just put the book down and do your laundry!", but I still couldn't put it down. The book is about the Mortmain family who live in an old run down castle. The book is actually what Cassandra Mortmain is writing in her journal. The father is a writer, but has not written a book since his first one. The family is destitute with no money, and are looking for ways to earn some money. The owner of the castle has recently died, and the new heir arrives to take over his property. What ensues is a little like Pride and Prejudice with the poor girl trying to capture the wealthy neighbor. It is a great book, with super fun insight and humor. It was a great read!!

Happy Reading Everyone!

9 comments:

  1. I am heading to the library on Monday and I am writing the titles of these down. Thanks for the referal!

    Don't you just love the opportunity for information from the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read. Can't wait to pick up both of these books!

    We should have a blog book club and pick one every month.
    It would be fun to comment on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked the book! Thanks for all of your nice comments,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your book club reads good books! The book I am reading right now for my book group is NOT so great. I am having a hard time finishing it.

    Thanks for your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check those out from the library! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to add those to my list. I've got a goal to read 50 books this year- so I'm on the lookout for recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which I believe you said you read a while ago. I thought it was a great book. It made me feel bad for those poor chinese women, and also grateful that we live where we do and have the freedoms we have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both those books! Happy reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are going to the library today and I am going to check this book out. I am always looking for good books to read to my girls at night. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete