Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Onion Nuts for Breakfast?

Last fall we made a BIG mistake. My hubby chopped up 4 quarts of onions and put them in bags in the freezer. About a week later our freezer completely stunk! Everything that was in it that wasn't in a plastic container smelled and tasted like onions. Onion pies anyone? I had a bag of walnuts from my Grandpa's tree in the freezer at the time. I make some yummy chicken enchiladas that have pecans in the recipe. I thought I could easily swap out the pecans for the onion walnuts and they would be just fine. I moved them to my upstairs freezer for the next time I made enchiladas. I must have pregnancy memory or something because the other day I was making coffee cake (which we call breakfast cake around here since we don't drink coffee). It called for a streusel topping with nuts in it. I opened the freezer to pull out my pecans and saw the walnuts sitting there. Since we are moving I have been trying to clear as much as possible out of our freezer. I thought I would just use up the walnuts instead of using the pecans because we didn't have that many. So I used them in my breakfast cake topping. It came out beautifully and (surprisingly) smelled delicious. My first bite was yummy, but my second one had a nut in it. I almost puked. No one was expecting onion nuts for breakfast. We spent twice as long eating breakfast as we normally do because we were trying to get all the nuts off the top. Disgusting. So here is my advice....NEVER, EVER put onions in a bag in your freezer, unless of course, you like onion ice cream!

12 comments:

  1. Um, GAG!!! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

    I hate that!!! You go to taste something and it tastes like something else...I can't imagine how sad I would be about breakfast cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. note to self: no onions in the freezer.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SICK! What a story! Great advice, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet that was so gross! I will be sure NEVER to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EWW!! That reminds me of the time that I made a deep dish pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. It was beautiful- I'd even cut little leaves and put them on the edges. Took my first bite- I'd forgotten the sugar!! BLECH! We love coffee cake too. I've not made it in a long time- mmm..... too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember you telling me about the onion fiasco and mentally noting not to try the same thing. Your sharing your tragedy has probably saved others from the same fate!

    And how sad it happened to a perfectly lovely breakfast cake...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to keep that in mind. How frustrating to make such a yummy breakfast, just to have it ruined by the onion taste.

    I hope everything went well yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yer old Dad should have listened! I took the onions we had in storage from last year (that had begun sprouting) chopped them up and put them into double plastic bags. Then put them in the freezer. We figured the double wrap would keep the smell in. Dream on onion breath! Like you, we have a freezer full of onion flavored food. Couldn't waste the ice cream so we ate it anyway. I don't really care for Butter Pecan/Onion. Mom gave a couple chocolate covered ice cream bars to Sadie and Abby, they didn't seem to mind. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to remember this for the future. I really like your blog. I hope I will bea able to share such great things as yours to my viewers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh... BLECH! And lol, too!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete