Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My New Perfume....


I bet you are grateful you are not wearing the same perfume I am this morning. I call it Eau de Skunk. We have been battling a few skunks around our house. My hubby went out one night last week and there were three skunks in our chicken pen. We have a trap that we have set up to catch them. They are pretty elusive, but we have now caught two of them. A few days ago we caught the mom. The trap is designed so that once the skunk is inside it can not lift its tail to spray its lovely perfume. DH was able to dispose of the skunk without any incident. We were not so lucky last night. We caught one of the babies. It is unfortunately much smaller than the mother, so raising its tail in the trap is not a problem. So while trying to dispose of it, it let loose with its infamous perfume. Luckily we were not in direct fire, but that didn't seem to matter too much because that smell can go anywhere! Once we got done and came inside we stripped down in the laundry room and immediately threw our clothing in the washing machine. My hubby got the worse of the smell and his hands and his hair smelled like it. I couldn't get the smell out of my nose. I almost gagged.....being 8 1/2 months pregnant and smelling skunk don't exactly go well together. I don't know how such a cute little fluffy animal could smell so bad. They really are adorable I just wish they didn't smell so bad. We still have one more to catch. I hope we don't get sprayed again.
UPDATE!!!! Apparently my hubby and I are not that great at skunk disposal. I just went out to throw out some garbage, just to hear rustling in my garbage can. There is a very much alive, very much out of his body bag, very frisky skunk in my garbage can. He is giving out free perfume samples if you want to come over......what do I do now?

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I thought I lived out in the country, but you are much more so!

    Sorry you guys got the smell all over you! I've heard that the only thing that makes the smell go away is to wash with tomato soup or tomato sauce. Maybe that's just an Old Wives Tale though! LOL!

    You're right, they are cute. But yes...very stinky! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my that is bad. Maybe you should talk to grandpa or dad. I think they had the same problem up at sourdough, but I may be wrong. I would say though that you may need to buy a couple cases of tomato sauce.


    Congrats on the offer. And good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwwww. Those are the cutest little skunk babies. Sorry they are so stinky and around your house.

    LOL at your last post. Oh, the beloved panel pants. Burn baby burn.

    Best of luck in the next couple of weeks-i can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opps! I have had a little experience with skunks, but not as intimate as yours. I shot one once that sprayed when it was hit. The smell was strong a half mile away at my uncle's house. Also witnessed catching one at Grandma Shaws. As I recall the Wild Life guy said they put the skunk, cage and all in a garbage can full od water and drown them. At any rate, get the problem taken care of before we get there next week. Love y'all

    ReplyDelete
  5. "get the problem taken care of before we get there next week."

    Sounds like someone is a bit reluctant to tangle with a stinky skunko!


    I guess I should be grateful we only get deer and an occassional bear in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that sounds horrible! That is a pretty cute picture though!

    ReplyDelete