Thursday, September 4, 2008

Entry and Livingroom Tour

Come on in!!!! (Don't you just love vaulted celings? We had them in the house I grew up in. I loved them. We always had the biggest Christmas trees.)
Please remove your shoes and place them in the basket. With new carpet, a yard full of dirt, and a crawling baby, I am sure you can understand why.

Let me show you around. And since I love details I will share all of those with you too.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this table. I love it even more because my hubby made it for me. Have I ever told you that he is amazing!?! I should have taken a close up picture of that little stitchery on there. I made that a few years ago. It says, "God Bless Our Home". Are you wondering what is in that cute little burgundy chest? I have reward papers for my kids in there. When they get their chores done they get to pick a paper. They have random rewards on them like: stay up 15 minutes extra tonight, Big Hug, 25 cents, watch a movie, have a treat, etc. I would tell you what is in that drawer, but I really don't remember. In our old house there was a Handyman magazine in there, but I don't know if it made the move. And don't you just love that R. Don't you think R is the prettiest letter in the alphabet....okay, okay, I am a little bit partial. :)


Here is our coat closet. There is this space above it that was the hardest spot to decorate in my house. I still don't think I did it justice. It is hard because it can be viewed from 3 different sides. I tried and tried to think of something to go up there that would look good from 3 sides, and I couldn't. I figured that most people coming to my house would only see one side, so I went with that. I love these candle sticks....and bonus because they were cheap! Before we left our old house my friends threw a good bye party for me and gave me this cut metal sign. It says, "Home is where your journey begins." I love it because I love the ladies that gave it to me.

So you want to see in my closet? Oh, don't be shy. I don't mind showing. I love looking in peoples closets. You gain a much better sense of who people really are when you see what is hiding behind closed doors.
Yup!! I am far from perfect, and I have the messy closets to prove it. Once I get that board painted though things will be better. We will put some hooks on it to hang all those coats and back packs on.

Now onto my living room. Oh wait, I forgot to show you my fun banister and railing.

I love the combination of the wood and iron. LOVE IT!!! I will take you up stairs on another day.

Come into my living room.



One MAJOR criteria for me when we were looking for a house was that it HAD to have a formal living room. I love this space. My formal living room was my favorite space in my last house. I have not formed such a strong bond with my new one yet, but I still love it. You have to have a place for the Home Teachers to come and not sit on toys right!?!

Do you like my couch? When I went looking I had a really hard time finding what I had in mind. I was actually looking for a solid green couch, but this was the only one I could find. I thought my hubby would never go for a floral couch, but he did. (I told you he was amazing right?)


And who wouldn't love a couch with legs like this. Oh and that mirror above the couch was my hubby's grandma's. I love it too.


Here is our new piano and side tables which we have added since we moved here. I even found tables that had the same cute legs as my couch.
Do you see that tree on the table on the right. That is a very special tree. We got it from a neighbor when we got married. It is actually several trees that have their trunks braided together. It was to symbolize our marriage as we intertwined our lives together. It is really cool. Anyway, on to another of my favorite things....this shelf.
Can you guess where I got it? Yes, my hubby made it for me too. I tell him what I want, draw him a picture, and he whips it out like lightening. He is wonderful and so good to me. I love this shelf. It reminds me of sweet things. My dh gave it to me for my birthday when I was pregnant with our third daughter. See those cute candle sticks? My sweet friend gave them to me. They remind me of her. That stitchery I made is supposed to remind me to bring more love into my home (yes, I sometimes forget!) That picture hanging below is a picture of my hubby's whole family that was taken at his little sister's wedding. Every time I see that picture I want to cry. I know you can't see it, but my hubby looks AWFUL in that picture. You think that is a horrible thing to say, but he had just had surgery 2 weeks before to remove a cancerous tumor. It reminds me of those days and makes me think of how grateful I am that he is still around. And of course the picture of my precious little girls...yes, I love this shelf.

Well that is all for the home tour today. Stick around for tomorrow when I take you into my kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! Your house is so beautiful and you have such amazing taste. I have no vision when it comes to decorating. I love that you have taken so many pictures of your home. My mom and I were just talking about this last week. She rarely took pictures when we were growing up and I would love to see old pics of our home growing up, gardens, etc. They're all just in my memory. I'm glad you take such wonderful pictures to remember! Your kids will really appreciate it.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about the symbolism behind your shelf. I just thought it looked so lovely and put together. Now I know why. There is a lot of love in just a tiny space.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW you have done some wonderful work. I now think that you got all of my creativity some how. Loves to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your house is so beautiful. You have a knack for decorating-I wish i had that!

    Does your house always look that clean??? I'd have to send my kids away for at least a week to have it looking that great!

    ReplyDelete