Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Onto the family room......

Sorry I have kept you standing in my dining room for so long. (It has been a little busy around the itybty house!) So come on into my family room.....
My family room still needs some decorating, but it is getting there. I just found the fabric to make some pillows that I have had hiding in a box for over a year.....one of these days I will get them done!!! I also need to fix up something fun over my armoire and bookcases. This is my FAVORITE piece of furniture. Did you guess that my hubby made it? Well, he did. He made it for me for my birthday a couple of years ago. He was such a trooper! My birthday is in February and he started working on it in January....in the FREEZING garage. He spent many evenings freezing his poor little fingers off trying to cut and sand all the wood. We did bring it inside to paint it and polyeurethane it. We distressed it and antiqued it. It was such a fun project. We are always amazing ourselves with what we can do. We just love building stuff.

Do you want to see where all the blogging magic happens? This is where I spend WAY too much time. I have a project in the works to do a board over this desk to display my daughter's artwork (back to the 2025 plan again....sigh). I guess it would be no surprise if I told you that my (AMAZING) hubby made this desk too. This is actually something he made in High School. It is sooooo heavy. Luckily it hasn't gotten too banged up with all the moving we have done. I was surprised when we bought our house that they didn't put a mantle in. So in the meanwhile, until we can get one, we put my favorite clock and some vinyl (of course!) above the tile surround. I am excited to crank up the fireplace on a cold winter night and snuggle up with my hubby, some hot chocolate and a good movie.

Can I tell you about my curtains? I had been looking around for something to go on my sliding glass doors. I wanted something that would match the window next to it. I found some curtains that I loved at Lowe's. After hunting for the price I found that they were on clearance for $4.00. SWEET!!!! They were regularly $32.00! The only problem.......there were only 2 of them.....I needed 4. The cashier looked them up on the computer and told me that they had at least one more at another Lowe's nearby. So the next morning I took off to the other Lowe's praying that they would still have it and hoping that I would be able to find one more at another Lowe's. Well just my luck, they had TWO!!! So I got them and had them hung up by that night. I love finding a good deal. So do you need to use the bathroom? Okay, sorry I asked, but just in case, here is our guest bathroom. Do you see that blue sticker on the toilet? Yeah, I should probably take that off. One of these days I will be perfect. Ha ha ha! I still have plans to put a cabinet (for bandaids and sunscreen) above the toilet and put some sort of painting or picture above my towels.

They had left over granite from my kitchen, so I got to have it in this bathroom too.

Come on through the bathroom to my laundry room.

Yes, I think a man designed my house. I don't know of any woman that would have made the laundry room smaller than the master bedroom closet. This is the only thing about my house that I have really hated. For some funny reason, I don't really think your bum should hit the wall when you are bending over getting your laundry out of your dryer. I must be grateful though....at least I am not washing my laundry in the river!

This room is actually much better than it was. When we moved in it didn't have any cabinets, so we put in the wall cabinets and the base cabinet, so I could have some storage space and a place to put all the detergent and stuff (Yes, the builders were men too!). We have another cabinet that we are actually going to bump out into my garage space so that I have a place to put some laundry baskets and to hide that monsterous pile of laundry. Can you tell I don't like to iron?

And we can't forget the vinyl. I think I might actually hang this sign on the wall, with some adorable black and white snap shots I took of my girls playing in the laundry drying on the clothes line. Do you see those fun GIANT clothes pins? I saw some in a model home once and loved them. I found them in the Pottery Barn catalog and they were EXPEN$IVE. I ended up finding these at my local grocery store and they were cheap. Another sweet deal.

I would really like to get an antique wash board to go in here, and maybe an old rug beater. My sister gave me an antique iron (it is on the counter, so you can't see it) and I thought it might want some good old friends to play with.

Well that is all for the tour today. I will take you upstairs next.

2 comments:

  1. And the tour continues! Everything looks so nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you. We were there on the 13th. They had this small animal show that was LAME. It was more fun when the zookeepers came up to us and showed us. Good thing it was only 10 minutes.

    Okay, you need to do another room. I am standing in your dining room and tapping my foot!!!

    BTW, A is DYING to have a playdate with M SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete