Friday, June 9, 2006

It's Begun....

I have been busy this week taking care of a few things around my house. All of the sudden it seems like I have a million things going on at once. One of them, is harvesting. Yes, I know....hasn't that come early this year. That is what I thought too. I wasn't prepared for the full throttle canning and preserving season to begin so early. This is the first year we have been getting these beauties:

We just planted our strawberries last year, so this is the first year I have had to figure out what to do with them. And since my husband is a fabulous gardener....we have a ton! We have been picking a big bowl full every other day all week long. I am on my fourth batch of jam, and we have had strawberries in just about everything...strawberry spinach salad, strawberries and powdered sugar on french toast & waffles, strawberries for desserts. I love them, but it does take time to do something with them, especially when they are not the only thing coming out of our garden right now. Here are a few more beauties from our garden:

My husband picked a big bucket full and a grocery bag full of peas last night. The whole family spent about an hour last night shelling them. This was our second picking. So last night I spent blanching and freezing peas. It is great to have them all winter long, but I wasn't quite ready to start dealing with them. So if I am a little scarce the next couple of months it might be because I am storing up the fruits of the harvest. Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I hope our garden does as well. Our strawberries are in their 2nd year too, but I don't think we have as many plants as you. I harvest like 3 at a time... and with that many, I just eat them warm off the plant. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great getting fresh fruits and vegatable from your own labors. They always taste better than store bought. Keep up the good work. Our strawberries are under black plastic this year, hopefully killing the grass that invaded them. We have cherries coming ripe soon, if the birds don't get them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could let your daughters sell strawberries on the corner or to neighbors to earn some spending money. My sisters did that with raspberries and bought their school clothes for the fall. I would buy them since all but one of my friend's transplants failed in my garden this year. I need some tips from your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those strawberries look so delicious! I have no advice on what to do with them though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am salivating all over my keyboard looking at your harvest. I LOVE vegetables!!! Everything except beets. You are one lucky girl to have everything in harvest. We put our garden in too late this year. Maybe next year.

    I was so happy to see you online again. I was worried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love strawberries...but they're only in season for a short period of time. If I had the space and the abundance of fruit that you have I'd freeze some and save them for another date. *sigh* But I have neither...so I can just dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! Its funny how we are so far away, and yet doing the same things. Although, I didn't plant enough peas to freeze. Have fun with the harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WAAAAAAAAAA!!! I want a garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Nabbin, I want a garden too. All I get is flowers until I can convince SS to let me have one. Everything looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. Welcome back, I was beginning to wonder where you were at.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed with your harvest so far! I love strawberries. Here's my favorite thing to do with strawberries (taught to me by my father-in-law), take fresh strawberries, dip in sour cream and then in brown sugar and eat. This sounds a little strange, but it is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are beautiful!!! I hope we have a good harvest this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks so amazing! we are having a rough early summer here and i only hope my garden can do as well. sadly, i have already lost some sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just planted our first garden this year. I really hope we get some good stuff out of it. I love fresh garden veggies! Try making strawberry freezer jam, it's easy and very YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you can send some of those strawberries my way...lol.

    how bout chocolate covered strawberries?

    do you have a food dehydrator to make some for cereal?

    make smoothies or icecream.

    good luck and congrats on such gardening success!

    ReplyDelete