Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Book Review: Snow Flower and The Secret Fan

Our book club book for the month was Snow Flower and The Secret Fan by Lisa See. I LOVED this book! The story is set in China and is the story of two friends who are sworn to be friends for life. They are sworn to each other at the age of 6 or 7. And the story tells about the events of their lives....foot binding (VERY interesting!), getting married, having families, etc. What I loved most about the book was the depictions of the customs and traditions of the Chinese people. It was so interesting to read just for that alone, but the story is wonderful to. The story is about deep friendship, betrayal, and forgiveness. It is a wonderful read....I would highly recommend it to anyone.

6 comments:

  1. That really does sound like a very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be an interesting book, it sounds like. I love learning about how ordinary women live or lived in other times and cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom recommended this book to me, but i had forgotten the title. thanks! i'll be sure to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to get that one. I love reading and am always looking for a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like an interesting book. Foot binding is so sad. Even though it's outlawed, there are still some people that do it.

    This might be a good present for my sister "K" since she loves China so much. Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a winner! I'll have to read it.

    ReplyDelete