Monday, December 18, 2006

Something missing....

The Stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
The presents are wrapped and hiding downstairs,

The cards have all been made, labeled, and sent
To the Ward Christmas party we all have went,

but something is missing,what can it be....
Christmas goodies, for you and for me!

I am usually all over making Christmas goodies...orange and raspberry sticks (yes, homemade!), cream cheese mints and cinnamon mints, fudge, english toffee, peanut brittle, peanut butter cups, cinnamon hard candy, oreo fudge, and candied nuts are all usually made by now. However, for some reason this year I am not excited about making any of it. Maybe it is because my daughter is off track and I am trying to keep all the kids entertained and happy, maybe it is because of those pesky 13 pounds I put on since this same time last year, or maybe I am just tired of making the same old things. I think it is probably the last one on the list. My neighbors always give us a goody platter every year of homemade candy....homemade caramel, fudge, and these fabulous little chocolate balls. They have a white soft middle and are coated in chocolate, and then rolled in chopped almonds. They are so good. I have been craving them since last year. They are the only candy I want this year. My hubby asked them for the recipe yesterday for me. They said they would sent it with our platter of goodies. I am so excited!!!! I can't wait....I hope they don't forget. Please, please, please don't forget! I just have to have them! (Can you tell I am totally addicted to sugar!)

What goodies are a must at your house during the holidays? I would love to find out what other people make. Maybe it will get me excited to make some goodies afterall.

11 comments:

  1. I have zero ideas... you do so much! I don't know where you get the energy to do homemade candy after getting all your shopping done AND doing all your Christmas cards! What a woman! I am sure your neighbors do not think your treats are boring. Golly I wish I was your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I love your cinnamon mints the best! I crave them all year! :) Mine just don't taste quite like yours do! I also love English toffee. I'm making my goodies today and tomorrow. Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your treats sound yummy! This year, because of time issues, I went with easy to make treats. I did oreo truffles, buckeye balls, and then four varieties of flavored popcorn (peanut butter and M&M's, heavenly hash, caramel, and chocolate caramel toffee). Each was so easy to make that I was able to do it all in a few hours over the weekend. If you feel you must make some treats, do something easy. And when you get that recipe, post it here! It sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year we have made NOTHING!!!

    My reason is that the smell of the food has made my stomach churn. As soon as this nasty bug passes, I am all over the home made cashew caramel, the sugar cookies, the bon-bons, and fudge. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

    I want your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want your recipe for the raspberry chocolate sticks... please post it!!!

    As for us, I am not a big candy maker and my hubby and 8 year old son don't care for candy... so if I make it, I eat it all.

    We always make and decorate sugar cookies on Christmas Eve though, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cream cheese mints? YUMMY!! Recipe Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

    We love to make caramels, peanut butter balls, chex candy mix, confetti brownies, and whatever new thing I decide to make. I think my new thing this year should be those mints!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much into baking, but I do love my peanut butter cookies this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with Chel. BUT I want ALL the recipes. I love new candy recipes for the holidays. PLEASE!!! Maybe if you wrote out the recipes, it would inspire you to make them. And we ALL win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your candies are so wonderful! I haven't made anything this year either, except ginger cookies and chocolate chip pumpking bread. I made my schedule for the week, and I decided Weds is it for my baking/candy making this year. I'll do poppyseed bread (Aunt Lorna's recipe), Andes chocolate mint cookies, and English toffee. Oh, and there will be pies for Christmas baked this week end.

    I did make my raspberry jam finally on Sat. I had just mashed and froze all the berries till I had time to get around to it. The freezer died (remember the lovely yellow one?). So, there was no more putting it off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing I've made for the holidays this year are Peanut Butter cookies with Toffee bits. Yum!

    ReplyDelete