Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fluffy little tutus...

My 5-year old had her Spring Dance Recital last night. She looked adorable in her little pink costume. She did a great job with her dance too. My 5-year old loves to look at all the costumes. I must admit that I love to as well. That is my favorite part of dance. I have found that there are many things that I don't like about dance. Here are a few:
1. Mothers. Not all mothers, just the ones that go a little over board with the whole dancing thing. The ones that take their kids to the hair dresser for their "recital do". The ones who paint their kids with so much make-up that you would think they are clowns. The ones that bring a HUGE bouquet of flowers for their daughter after the recital is over.....and I mean HUGE flowers. We are talking bigger than my wedding bouquet!!
2. Rehearsals. Monday night, they had a dance rehearsal. Total mess. Is it really necessary for 3 year olds to rehearse? They aren't going to do their dance any better.
3. Recitals. I think ours are just handled very poorly. I had to stand through the whole thing last night because there was not enough room for everyone. There were people standing all the way around the auditorium, and even people in the hall watching from the open doors. This was especially bad for me since I was there with our 3 kids by myself (my husband, the lucky dog got out of the recital because he went to the rehearsal and had official church business to attend to). So I got to stand in the back, holding my baby, and trying to contain the other two in my two square feet of space. Getting out of there afterwards was a nightmare. I sat in my car in the parking lot for 20 minutes trying to get out....as I did so I sat and watched my gas mileage plummet....22.4...22.3....22.2. It was great entertainment I assure you!
4. Dance Choreography. The little girl dances were cute and fun, but something seems to happen between the cute little girl dances and the big girl dances. Can I just say that I was appauled!! I think if some of those girls were wearing a little less (and not much less) they might be taken for strip club dancers. I wanted to cover MY eyes, let alone the eyes of my children. I am sure the guy in the back of the auditorium with the binoculars was loving all the jiggling and bouncing though!!
Sorry to go off! I was just needing to whine a little. I sat there last night just thinking to myself, "This is my life?????". I want my little girl to have good experiences, learn new things, become self confident, and able to get up in front of others, but I am not so sure this is the way to do it. I would give it up entirely if they didn't look so adorable in those little tutus!!! Here are some photos of our little ballerina!


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. She is stunning! I love her hair in those cute braids. You did a great job.

    I am so sad you had such a poor experience. I am counting my blessings with our dance experience. Mil's teacher REFUSES to put them in anything immodest. She had a hard time putting Mil's class in a wide-wide strapped sleeveless dress. I think our experience is the exception, not the rule. I hear a lot of not-so-good-things about dance groups as of late. That really stinks that it went so badly. Whine away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a doll! I love what you did to her hair. When Emily did dance, the recital was in the performing arts auditorium at Weber State. Plenty of room, but they had to charge for tickets to pay for it. Expensive! And no tutu. She got to wear a modest, but a bit clashy hawaiian outfit. I was as disappointed as she was. I do think a lot of moms go way overboard, too. And your right, like that rehearsal will really polish up that performance! Impressive gas mileage, btw. Okay, can I come up with another 10 disjointed things to say!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a former dance junkie. I grew up going to all of those dance things that make you so sick! I have seen (or been personally involved) in a few of your peves! My mom was an instructor...so I got the overdone make-up job constantly. Luckily...since my mom was an instructor we didn't have to worry too much about the immodest dress!! But I do know where you're coming from.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. (I'm enjoying getting to know others thru their blogs...and you are no exception! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My twin step-daughters take tap, jazz, ballet and a "stretching class." Their mom is one of the moms that go overboard. She's constantly asking for money to help buy costumes, new shoes from New York, tights, pay for classes etc... Ok- the girls are SEVEN YEARS OLD!! We paid $25 a pop for tickets to their recital. We weren't allowed to film or take pictures but could purchase them later. It was ridiculous. It was in Canada, so I'm doubt it's like that everywhere, but gimme a break! They're our kids and we can't take pictures of them performing the dances we've been paying for them to learn all year?! Are you kidding me??

    ReplyDelete