Monday, July 10, 2006

Childhood Memories...

Stephanie at For Better or For Worse tagged me to do a walk down memory lane and share some of my memories from elementary school. It was funny that she tagged me because I had spent the week shopping for school clothes for my soon-to-be Kindergartener, and thinking a lot about what I did in elementary school. So here are a few memories from my childhood...try not to fall asleep!

Kindergarten: My 5-year old always asks what I did in Kindergarten, and the first thing I always tell her is that we made butter. I don't know why that is the first thing that stands out...I must have thought it was really cool. I also got my first kiss in Kindergarten during a game of kissing tag. I swore I would never wash my cheek again...well that didn't last too long. I also learned the value of honesty in Kindergarten when I stole a pair of scissors from the lost and found box and took them home. My Mom immediately walked me back to the school and made me apologize and give them back. I never stole anything again. Thanks Mom! I also remember my pink Future Lines shoes, and running over to my friends house to show them to her. She didn't think they were cute, and it was the first time I remember feeling self-conscious.

1st Grade: I remember standing in front of the class and counting by 5's, 10's, and 100's. This was the first year I got to wear a halloween costume to school...I was Raggedy Ann, complete with red shaggy wig. I swallowed a button during a school assembly, and my overall strap fell in the toilet. (Isn't it funny the things you remember!)

2nd Grade & 3rd Grade: These two school years are a bit of a blur to me because I had the same teacher both years, and so I have a hard time remembering what happened each year. I got my curly hair fro cut off in second grade and came to school with my new "boy" hair cut, and my teacher thought I was a new student. This was the year that charm bracelets and rubber stamps were the cool thing. I still have some of those rubber stamps. I got to go to my first slumber party. I got my ears pierced. I made a boy cry because I called him a name and had to stay in at recess. When I was in third grade I got called home from school. I didn't know why. When I got home I found my sisters on the porch crying because my Grandma had died. I also remember playing some silly game where you run around with an eraser on your head (I was always good at it because I have a reasonably flat head), and heads up 7-up....I hated that game.

4th Grade: My teacher was a huge Miami Dolphins fan and had dolphins all over her class room. We had to do reports on sea animals and make actual size posters of the animal for our "Sea Wall". Mine was on the Killer Whale...I couldn't make it actual size, but I made it pretty close! We learned Morris Code this year. I still remember dot dot dot is S (too bad I don't remember the rest). This was also the year my best friend and neighbor decided I wasn't cool enough to be her friend. I carried that hurt around for a long time.

5th Grade: This is the year I discovered I was artistic. We divided into groups and we could draw different items set up on tables...one group had a animal skull, and there was a sea shell. I drew the sea shell. Later I over heard the teachers talking about how good it was. I also made a stuffed giraffe out of paper, and several other art projects that I still have in a box somewhere. My math teacher told our whole class I was the only one she felt really knew their multiplication tables. I also got sick and threw up at school this year (luckily I made it to the bathroom) and got to go home from school. I also needed to wear a bra this year. I cried for days....I never did want to grow up. My mom gave me a box of 64 crayons and I finally stopped crying. I still love to color!

6th Grade: My all time favorite teacher was my sixth grade teacher. Ms. Clark. On the first day of school she had a yellow ribbon tied around her neck and told us a story about a girl who had a ribbon tied around her neck and everyone always asked her why she had the ribbon tied around her neck, and so one day she showed them and untied the ribbon and her head fell off....as my teacher was reading this she slowly untied the ribbon around her neck, and threw her head back. A boy sat behind me this year, and he had one green eye and one blue eye. It was creepy. I had a math teacher who would hold a broom stick with both hands and jump over it. He would give you extra credit if you could do it. I could do it, but I guarantee I could not do it now! We had a school play this year. It was Hamlet and I desperately wanted to be the Queen. I unfortunately got the chicken pox the week of try outs and so I ended up having to dress up like a boy and be the Panomime King. How lame was that! I pretended to have poison poured into my ear and flopped around on stage dying. No wonder I never did any other acting. I got my first zit this year too....and right before pictures. The zit will live forever in my school pictures. I had to give my first oral report in 6th grade....I did mine on Thailand, complete with slide show and souvenirs...thanks to my Dad who had spent a year there. I also learned all the counties in Utah and had to do a report on Box Elder County. We made puzzles out of the counties and raced to see who could put their puzzle together the fastest...I won! I remember liking a boy and I wrote I Heart and his name on the bottom of my shoes in permanent green marker. I loved those shoes, but my mom made me throw them away. And it was either this year or 5th grade that we all gathered together to watch the shuttle launch. It was the challenger shuttle that blew up and killed everyone on board. I remember the teachers quickly wisking us all back to our classes.

Well I could go on and on, but I am sure you are bored to death already. It is so fun to remember all the fun things you did as a kid. I would like to here some fun memories from Jettara, Nettie, Merv and The Scent Of Elsha (I know you didn't want to be tagged again, but I know we would all love to hear about your childhood memories).

11 comments:

  1. What fun memories! It is also neat that you had a chance to be thinking about this stuff in relation to one of your own entering that stage of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, who hasn't thrown up at school? It's the universal school memory. Glad you made it to the bathroom. I ALMOST did. :)

    Love the story about the neck ribbon, and I felt the same way about getting a bra. I couldn't stand that "My body is changing - how icky!" feeling of having to wear deodorant and just feeling messy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories are fun. I don't mind getting tagged for this. I have been proofing my father's history and it has been very interesting. I found your memoires fascinating and hated to see you stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great memories. Thanks for tagging me. It will be a few days before I get it together. I am really busy this week with school and trying to figure out what to do for the crop. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love to reminisce- i htink we have to remeber the best parts of life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never washing your cheek again?? Aren't you glad you didn't stick with that one! :)
    Love the memories! They let us know you had a wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a little freaked out by the yellow ribbon story!

    and i loved raggedy ann, too. i had a way cool sleeping bag raggedy ann sleeping bag that was all pink and pretty and fluffy. . . i wish i'd saved that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun memories! I love reading peoples fun and nice experiences at school!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had known you then too!!! We would have still been best friends!

    I am so jealous that you were able to wear a bra in elementary school. I didn't need to until I was a freshman! AHHHHH!!! I just felt stupid.

    I remember coloring with you at Nielsen's. I still don't think we are grown up yet.

    How neat to overhear your teachers talk about how good your project was. That had to do TONS for your self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a great memory! Feel free to continue your memories through the rest of your school years in another blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun read! Even though we are sisters there is so much of your childhood I don't know about. I have to say I'm with Stephanie on the bra issue.

    I'll do mine. (I actually sat and thought about it a lot in the middle of one of my recent insomnia moments. Just need to find the time to write it down!)

    ReplyDelete