Friday, July 28, 2006

A Proud Mother, and a Book Review....

I took my 5-year old in yesterday for her Kindergarten Conference. I tell you, no mother has ever been prouder! (I know, I know, I am sure you all felt this way too!) I taught my daughter pre-school, so this was an extra big thing for me. Especially to hear her teacher gush about how well she did and how smart she is. I have wondered and worried the whole time I was teaching her if I was doing everything the right way, or if she was really learning what she needed to know. So it was so great for me to finally know that I had done a good job of teaching my daughter. She is so excited for Kindergarten. He sent her home with some homework, and she was so excited to do it as soon as we got home. She is going to love Kindergarten. Stay tuned for pics next week of her first day...oh, getting weepy already.

On another note. My book reviews have kind of fizzled lately. It was too much for me to review so many books each week, so I am just going to review our book club book for the month, and any other books I find that I exceptionally love. Our book for this month was The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare. It is a children's literature book and winner of the 1962 Newbery Medal. This was a fantastic book. It is set in Jerusalem at the time of Christ during Roman rule. The main character in the book is an 18 year old boy named Daniel. His father was killed by the Romans, and he has taken a personal oath against the Romans and is waiting for the "deliverer" to come that will bring war against the Romans and free the Jews from their bondage. His hatred of the Romans, leads him to join with a group of men fighting for this purpose. As the story progresses, he is confronted with difficult choices to make regarding his family, friends, and his beliefs. He also is able to listen to Christ's sermons, and starts to have a change of heart regarding his approach to freeing the Jews from bondage. It is an inspiring book, and really makes you think about the things going on in the land during the time of Christ. Not being Jewish, I never really realized the many laws that govern their religion and society. It was very interesting to read about it in this book. It also raises some good guestions. Will I know Him when he comes again? So many people didn't know Him when He walked the earth, performed miracles, and talked directly to the people. So, how will I know it is really Him? It is a wonderful book that makes you think about your beliefs and your faith. Read it with tissues.

6 comments:

  1. I think I'll be picking up that book. Have you read "The Robe"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that she is starting Kindergarten. We are getting OLD!!!

    That book sounds really good. I have been needing a good book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that my baby sister's baby is going to school. Time flys by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kindergarten is a milestone! It sounds like you were a wonderful teacher, and that she is one smart girl! It's going to be such a fun year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you must be so proud of YOURSELF, not just your little one. kindergarten. wow. i'm so not ready to consider that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just thinking about kindergarten makes me get butterflies! Ack!!
    That book sounds really familiar, but I'm not sure it's the same one. I guess I'll have to look it up and see if it's one I have yet to read! :)

    ReplyDelete