Monday, July 31, 2006

Family Party & Dutch Oven Recipes...

Nettie from Singing a Verse of my Song is in town, so our family all got together on Saturday night for a party. It was lots of fun to get together and visit. And the cousins had a ball playing together.

My husband and I did some dutch oven cooking for dinner that night. I was asked for my recipes. I thought I would post them here for everyone.

Dutch Oven Potatoes
5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and sliced (put in salt water to preven browning)
1 lb. bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 med. onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Fry onion and bacon in dutch oven until bacon is crisp and onion is soft. Add potatoes and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Add salt water from potatoes if they start to look too dry.

Peach Cobbler
2 29 oz. cans of sliced peaches, drained
1 box yellow cake mix
1/4 cup butter, in small pieces
1 can lemon-lime soda
cinnamon sugar

Oil dutch oven. Place peaches on bottom and sprinkle dry cake mix over the top. Dot top with butter chunks. Pour lemon-lime soda over the top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cook until dry cake mix is moist, and areas are cakey (?). Watch carefully...those peaches will burn easily.

Seasoned Fried Chicken
2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into strips or chunks
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 cup flour
2 tsps. garlic salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
Oil for frying

Beat buttermilk and egg together. Mix flour with seasonings in a zip-lock bag. Coat chicken pieces with flour mixture. Dip pieces into egg/buttermilk mixture and then back into the flour mixture. (This is messy, but so worth it!) Fry in hot oil (365) until golden, and chicken is thoroughly cooked. I had leftover egg/buttermilk and flour mixtures, so I mixed them together into a batter and used it to make fried onion rings. They were yummy! Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. So yummy! I can't wait to drag out the ole dutch ovens and try these recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that just sounds delicious! I am going to have to try those for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try those recipes. I have had peach cobbler like that before only with root beer. It gave it such a yummy vanilla-y flavor. I need to try the chicken and potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm salavating at the thought! YUM! Sounds like you like the same sorts of dutch oven fare that we enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipes. It WAS a really good dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again. You both did a real great job and the food was delicious. Looking forward to doing it again (soon as I get the kitchen cleaned up). We did enjoy the get together and the food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried dutch oven cooking, the recipes sound so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum... we just had the peach cobbler at our stake Pioneer Day picnic. Good stuff. I can't wait till our Dutch ovens are out of storage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok, let me try to type this right this time.. hey! im in that picture! i look really weird..... :0

    ReplyDelete