Friday, August 25, 2006

Book Review: 3 Weeks With My Brother

Last night was book club night. This month we read Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas and Micah Sparks. I really enjoyed the book. It is a memoir about Nicholas and Micah, their family, and the trip they took around the world together. Nicholas basically wrote the book with impute from his brother, so it is from Nicholas' perspective. He intertwined his family life memories with memories from his trip around the world. I thought this might make the book choppy, but he really pulled things together rather nicely. He included some very humorous stories from his childhood, and also some sad stories as well. His later life was filled with a lot of tragedy which made it a really touching and thought provoking book. I really enjoyed the parts about his vacation as well. I have never been to all the places he got to go (except Guatemala), so it was neat to hear about them and the things he saw while he was there. I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it. I was surprised last night at book to find that several of the ladies didn't like the book, that they thought it was a brag-fest about his accomplishments. I didn't get that feeling when I read it. It was a memoir afterall, I don't think anyone would paint a horrible picture of themselves in their own book. So I would recommend the book to anyone...happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. I love anything by Nicholas Sparks. He is one of my favorites. Thanks for the review. Once the beginning of the year school dust settles down, I will cozy up with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to write what Stephanie did!! LOL
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to have to find it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thumbs up, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very interesting read. I'll have to add it to my list...

    ReplyDelete