Monday, October 30, 2006

Healthy Dog...

This is our dog, Josie. She is a 5 year old Dachshund.
Posted by Picasa
I loved her the first time I saw her. She has adorable puppy dog eyes that just plead with you for some attention. She use to be my husband's Grandma's dog, but she could not take care of her, so we kind of "inherited" her. She had been so neglected that she needed to be house broken again. We got her during one of the worst winters on record in Logan. I remember taking her out at 4:00a.m. to go to the bathroom in several feet of snow. Boy were we glad when she was finally house broken! She has been part of our family for just over 4 years now. She is sometimes a nuisance with her loud bark (you wouldn't think that such a little dog could bark so loud!), her leaky bladder problems, and her tendancy to vomit when she eats something she shouldn't, but despite it all, we really enjoy having her. This last week Josie developed a little tick. She would walk around and shake her head funny. I checked her out and found that she had puss all over inside her ear. It was disgusting. We got her into the vet and they had to knock her out to clean out her ears, and then started her on antibiotics. Today is her last day of antibiotics. I am so excited! It is worse giving your dog medicine than it is giving it to your child. Josie usually will wolf down anything, but for some reason she didn't want anything to do with those little red pills. So we have been coating them with a little peanut butter, and then she doesn't even notice. It is nice to have our dog acting like herself again. Even though my DH thinks it wasn't worth the $133 vet visit, it is still nice to have our little dog around.

10 comments:

  1. what an adorable dog!! i'm glad she's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying for a dachschund for quite a while now. She's so cute - glad she's feeling better. Good to know they bark loud (for security reasons).

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's cute! I've heard dachunds bark...they ARE louder than you'd expect! I love the peanutbutter coating trick! Glad it worked for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Josie is feeling better. And I hope all is well with the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that Josie is doing better! My boys would be so disappointed if she weren't there to jump on them when we come to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband would die. He absolutely adores dachschunds!! And yours is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! We had a dachschund once named Pooky. He bit children so he had to go live in a child-free home. He was renamed "Hans".

    Glad Josie is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josie reminds me of our dog growing up (Sam). Glad she's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad Josie is feeling better. My kids would have been sad if anything had happened more serious. Maddy still sleeps with her stuffed version every night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we had doxies growing up too! cute little gal.

    ReplyDelete