Monday, May 1, 2006

The Ultimate Granola

I was typing up this recipe for our ward cookbook, and thought it would be fun to post on my blog.

The Ultimate Granola

3 cups rolled oats (I often use a 6 or 9 grain instead of plain oats)
1 cup wheat germ (found in the cereal isle)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped nuts
Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, gloves, ginger to taste
1 cup dried fruit

Add oats, wheat germ, coconut, sesame seeds, honey, oil, nuts, and spices to crock pot. Mix together well. Cook on low 4-6 hours until golden brown. Cook with lid slightly ajar, and stir frequently. Cool and add dried fruit. Store in an air tight container.

I have tried lots of variations with this recipe. You can use any kind of nuts and fruit or add different kinds of seeds like sunflower seeds, etc. Some of our favorites are:
Pecans, raisins, and extra cinnamon
Almonds, cashews, and tropical fruit
Almonds, cranberries, orange zest and ginger
Let me know if you try out any fun new variations! Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. Looks tasty, and I love anything I can do in my crockpot! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made in the crockpot? That's a cool idea. I'll have to try that. I make granola for my kids all the time, its the only way one of them will eat oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy... I am totally into breakfast foods his pg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll put that on my menu plan. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMM.
    When you use the six or nine grain variety, do you use Bob's? I cannot WAIT to try this. I think I am the most excited about the way my house will smell while it is cooking.
    MMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie, I use the 6 or 9 grain cereal from the cannery. It does make the house smell good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! That looks great. I'll have to try to out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love granola! I'll be sure to try it out.
    I was in Las Vegas last October and I had the best granola of my entire life. It had pine nuts in it and toasted coconut.
    I actually wrote to Gourmet magazine to see if they could get me the recipe....still waiting to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thrilled to know this! I love homemade granola but hate stirring, turning and watching it in the oven.

    This I could do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! That looks fantastic. I'm a sucker for a good granola.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds great, I love granola, but don't like most store bought kind. I'm so going to try this,
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete