Saturday, May 20, 2006

Book Review #3:

Here is my next book review. I am reviewing some of the latest books in my book bag with this post too.

1001 Ideas for Color & Paint: Very colorful book. Lots of painting ideas through pictures (is it child-like to still love picture books?) They have techniques for faux (don't you just love that word) finishing in the book as well.

Secrets of the Spas by Cathrine Bardey: Lots of ideas and recipes for having your own private "at Home" spa experience. They have recipes for light food, and recipes for different beauty "potions", such as scrubs, facial masks, etc. Would be a great book to reference if you are into doing the spa thing at home...I love to do this. It is so relaxing, and cheap!

Making Memory Boxes by Anna Corba: Some beautiful boxes, but too victorian for my taste. I love the victorian look, but it just isn't quite my style.

Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion Magazine: I love this magazine! I thought I wouldn't because I don't care much for those cherries and things she has, but the magazine has cute ideas.

Decorating with Architectural Trimwork by Jay Silber: If you are looking to add a little elegence to your house this is the book! Shows you how to add cornices, door casings, chair rails, wall frames and baseboard moldings to your home. There are tons of pictures so you can get lots of ideas of how to do the different types of molding in just about any room. We are planning to do cornice and wall frames in our living room. So excited!

The New Flooring Idea Book by Regina Cole: We have been wondering what flooring to put in our entry/dining/kitchen/laundry/familyroom area....pergo, tile, wood. This book goes through the different types of flooring options and explains the benefits and down falls of each type. We decided on Engineered Wood flooring...never knew what it was, so the book was great for enlightening us.

I'm off to look at a few of my other books....keep reading!

9 comments:

  1. I love how you learn so much about home interiors. So tell me, because I have NO idea, what is engineered wood flooring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't love the cherries? I do! Wow, I guess our tastes aren't as identical as I thought! But, hey differences are good. How exciting about your floor! And that architectural elements book sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie: Engineered wood flooring is just a thin layer of real hardwood over layers of "lesser" woods. It is thinner than regular hardwood, and you can install it as a floating floor (meaning you don't have to nail it down, which means it is easier to fix if needed). And it is cheaper!

    Nettie: We can't be exactly the same, or we would get bored of each other. Flooring project not too exciting yet, we probably won't do it until next spring,we are just doing the research now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a fan o' moulding (its the virginia in me) i made smart daddyo put crown moulding in our dining room- i couldn't feel peace in there until it was "trimmed up"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the recommendations. I am definitely checking a few of these out this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotcha. In this house we have always called it "Pergo". Kind of like jeans are called "Levi's". I can't wait to see when you get it all done. Have you decided what color you are going with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie: Pergo is actually a laminate floor, with no real hardwood. I would like to do something like a knotty oak, but we haven't decided for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. K, I am a flooring dork. Whoops.
    Knotty oak would be so pretty with your cabinets and countertops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to look at home design books - even those that do not reflect my style. Although, I don't think I have just one style - kind of a mish mash of different styles. Anyway, you get ideas in some of the most unlikely places! Like Victorian shadow boxes! So, it's fun to explore a bit.

    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete